[Python-il] Python docx package with Hebrew support

Amit Aronovitch aronovitch at gmail.com
Sun May 5 13:26:44 IDT 2013

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM, גל וין gal vine <galvine at npa.org.il> wrote:

 Hey all, ****

> ** **
>
> I'm trying to use the docx package to parse docx files, and use Hebrew in
> it, not very successfully. ****
>
> Also I need to be using templates and\or bookmarks on those documents, - *
> ***
>
> But the package is of low documentation, and I need some assistance. ****
>
> **

Nope - never done that, just general comments:

 The project seems active on github. If something breaks while using
Hebrew, but works otherwise you can try opening an issue
 https://github.com/mikemaccana/python-docx/issues
   (also let us know - there's a local forum for promoting Hebrew/bidi
related issues in free software)

> **
>
> Any of you had the pleasure of using that, ****
>
> Or working (successfully) with win32com.client to parse word documents?***
> *
>
> ** **

Haven't done that either (I did use win32com to communicate with Outlook -
but that was long time ago).

Another idea which you might try, in case the python ODF tools are more
mature:
 Convert to ODF (using the libreoffice/openoffice docx filter, which is
quite good), then try ezodf/odfpy...

Just my 2c,

    AA