[Python-il] Awesome console debugger

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed May 30 08:15:38 IDT 2012

Hi Ram,

On Tue, 29 May 2012 23:15:39 +0300
Ram Rachum <ram at rachum.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Just a quick recommendation on a module called pudb:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pudb
>
> Pudb is a replacement for Python's pdb, for Linux only.

Thanks for the recommendation. Too bad that I now need to debug some Python code on Windows (don't ask).

> There were so many times that I had to debug a Python program through SSH,
> where I can't use my normal debugger (Wing IDE). I really *really* hate
> using pdb because *you can't see anything* and if you dare to create a
> variable named `q` it will end the debugging session, and other assorted
> stupidities.

I wonder why it's not possible (yet) to do remote debugging in Python. I mean,
there's remote editing with SFTP/FTP/WebDAV/etc., which many editors support,
and GDB also has gdbserver:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gdbserver

So I think there should be something like that for Python too.

Also thanks to Meir's recommendation of ipdb.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish