[Python-il] Awesome console debugger

Meir Kriheli mkriheli at gmail.com
Wed May 30 02:40:30 IDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Ram Rachum <ram at rachum.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Just a quick recommendation on a module called pudb:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pudb
>
> Pudb is a replacement for Python's pdb, for Linux only.

Yeah, I've showed it to some dudes at the end of one of the early PyWeb-IL
meetings (was at Google) long time ago.

Note the if there's messing with console, this debugger may be problematic
(at the time had problems with AppEngine local dev server).

There were so many times that I had to debug a Python program through SSH,
> where I can't use my normal debugger (Wing IDE). I really *really* hate
> using pdb because *you can't see anything* and if you dare to create a
> variable named `q` it will end the debugging session, and other assorted
> stupidities.

Get used  to using 'p' (for print), e.g: p q

Pudb is like pdb, except it has a visual interface reminiscent of Turbo
> Pascal from the DOS days. It's easy and quick to use, and works over SSH.
> It's the best in-console Python debugger I've seen, and it's now my
> debugger-of-choice when debugging on SSH.

Another nice alternative to pdb is ipdb (from the iPython guys). Also gives
tab completion and other ipython goodness:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipdb

Cheers
--
Meir Kriheli