[Python-il] Considering dropping Python 2.5 support

cool-RR cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Mon May 2 12:45:39 IDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Amit Aronovitch <aronovitch at gmail.com>wrote:

>  I do not know if this is relevant, but some info FWIW:
>
> As far as I recall (around 3 years ago), most compute nodes on the EGEE
> grid
> ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGEE ,  Eddie talked about this in AP2009 -
> I did not find Hebrew docs )
> were "computer-farm" nodes in universities, running SL3 - a clone of Redhat
> Enterprise 3, and this was while RHEL5 (and SL5) was already available.
> The python version was ancient. I do not know what the status is today (you
> should ask Eddie)  - but I'd very surprised if it is higher than 2.5.
> (I guess you'd have to write some infrastructure if you want to support
> simulations over the Grid, but it sounds like an interesting direction if
> you want to extend your audience to certain research areas).
>
> Some other point - I think that the last free version of EPD, before they
> went non-free, used Python2.5 (can someone confirm this?)
> This might mean that some Windows users might stay with 2.5 until some
> alternative free all-in-one python distro is found. This is not a problem on
> modern free OS distros, where a reasonable package manager is available. But
> in Windows, you typically have to manually install dozens of stand-alone
> packages (many of which do not have an up to date binary egg for Windows on
> pypi) to get a reasonable scientific environment. EPD was a really good
> solution when it was free (it probably still is, for those who can afford
> the current license and price).
>
>     Amit

Interesting Amit, thanks. (BTW, EPD is free for academics.)

I eventually decided to keep supporting 2.5, and just
have reduced functionality for module-tasting on 2.5. (Specifically, tasting
zipimported modules doesn't work completely well on 2.5.)

Maybe in a year or so I will finally kill Python 2.5 completely.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Ram.