[Python-il] Is there a high-level profiling module for Python?

cool-RR cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Wed Sep 22 23:57:37 IST 2010

Hello folks,

This question is going to be in the same spirit of my last question, except
for a different topic. (The spirit is: "Here's something that I want, please
tell me if something like this exists before I write it myself.")

I'm looking for a high-level profiling module for Python.

I want to profile my Python code. I am well-aware of `cProfile`, and I use
it, but it's too low-level. (For example, there isn't even a straightforward
way to catch the return value from the function you're profiling.)

One of the things I would like to do: I want to take a function in my
program and set it to be profiled *on the fly* while running the program.

For example, let's say I have a function `heavy_func` in my program. I want
to start the program and have the `heavy_func` function not profile itself.
But sometime during the runtime of my program, I want to change `heavy_func`
to profile itself while it's running. (If you're wondering how I can
manipulate stuff while the program is running: I can do it either from the
debug probe or from the shell that's integrated into my GUI app.)

Is there a module already written which does stuff like this?

Ram.