[Python-il] [pyweb-il:1050] Python coding question

Amit Aronovitch aronovitch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 19:32:03 IDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld at gmail.com> wrote:

> The use of assigment through left arrow (←) would solve this. Which reminds
> me of the fact that I would have loved having a language like python that
> uses more of unicode for its syntax.
>
> Then "python" might look like:
>
>     ∀ n ∈ names:
>       if n ≠ "foo":
>         α ← n
>         ß = re∘search〈"foo", α〉
>
> No more overloading of parens, decimal dots, minus signs, etc.
>
> Of course it would take some time to learn how to type all these chars on
> the keyboard, but by some clever editors macro tricks, you would quickly get
> over this.
>
> Here's another pythonic construct that imo would look nicer.
>
>     f← λ x: x↑2
>     a←f〈2〉
>
> But I'm dreaming. Nobody will ever do anything as crazy as this... ☺

Reality always transcends our dreams...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language)>
 Of course, that was long before Unicode, and you needed special terminals.
But used the arrow and many other symbols.
Plus lots of other features (including some that I did not find in more
modern languages):
Good interactive interpreter, consistent multidimensional array interface,
sane behavior of the modulus operator on negative numbers and of rounding of
complex, extreme expressiveness (however: horrible flow control and
readability).

    AA