[Python-il] debugging Python

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Jan 21 23:30:16 IST 2010

Hi Yitzhak!

First of all, never start a new thread by replying to an existing message.
Instead send a new message to python-il at hamakor.org.il with a new subject. My
mailer could tell me your message was sent as an reply to an existing one.

On Thursday 21 Jan 2010 18:58:41 Yitzhak Wiener wrote:
> Hi Dear People,
>

> As really beginner in Python, I face many problems and find it
> relatively difficult to study Python only threw the documentation.
>
> I find myself writing small python script with many errors, and find it
> hard to understand the error reason only from command line error
> message.
>

> Is there a better way to write python scripts? I used regular editor but
> it doesn't know the functions and syntax of Python. What is the best
> development area for Python? Is there some kind of debugger for Python?

Well, I'm using gvim for most development:

http://www.vim.org/

It is a superb editor, but may take some time to get accustomed to.
Here is a list of editors from a previous message I sent:

<<<<<

* http://www.vim.org/

* http://www.xemacs.org/ (Very hard to get used to from my experience)

* http://projects.gnome.org/gedit/

* http://www.geany.org/Main/HomePage

I personally swear by Vim for most stuff, but on Linux I also tend to use Kate
and other editors when Bi-directionality (mixed Hebrew+Latin, etc.) is
involved. I should note that Vim and gvim are cross-platform and run on
MS-Windows and other operating systems.

And for a little fun, see:

http://www.notepad.org/

For debugging you can look at:

* http://docs.python.org/library/pdb.html

* http://winpdb.org/

I've had a good experience working with pdb.

Also look at writing automated tests (unit tests, system tests, integration
tests, etc.) with Python and doing test-first and test-driven development.
Other people on this list can give better references than I could.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish