[Python-il] Don't copy PyWeb-IL

Arik Baratz list+python at arik.baratz.org
Wed Jan 20 13:29:48 IST 2010

2010/1/20 Amit Aronovitch <aronovitch at gmail.com>

> But I do not understand why do you insist on having PyWeb-IL send you
> emails as well if you are subscribed to Python-IL anyways. Just go to "Edit
> my membership" in the google-group and choose no-email (which should have
> been the default IMO).
>  If you use regular email client (rather than google reader/google groups)
> and want PyWeb messages to go to a different folder than python-il (I do
> not, btw), messages are clearly tagged (subject:, to:, contents) so should
> be no problem to setup the rule.

It's very simple.

Remember the zen of python? "import this" - I picked a few:

Explicit is better than implicit
Simple is better than complex
There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it
If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea

What you did by subscribing one list to the other is made the explicit act
of subscribing to a mailing list implicit (by subscribing to another). The
fact that it takes you long paragraphs to explain what one should "simply
do" shows complexity, which wasn't there in the first place. And, of course,
there should be one OBVIOUS way to subscribe to a mailing list - to do it
EXPLICITLY.

If you believe in the principles of Python, you have to consider what is the
MOST SIMPLE solution that is easiest to understand and implement. That is to
leave mailing lists to behave the way they are designed to do, the way one
would EXPECT them to behave.

-- Arik