[Python-il] [pyweb-il:684] Re: Django for SaaS

Emanuel emikil at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 16:02:13 IST 2010

Thank you very much for your responses.

I made some thinking after reading your responses and have some
insights that I would like to share with you:

1. Sometimes there is a huge difference between the facts known by you
and the widespread conception in the industry.
What usually wins is the conception. Therefore, even if we all believe
that Python is better than C# or Java,
we should not ignore the fact that the industry thinks otherwise.

2. I agree with Meir about over mentioning NASA as an example from the
same reasons he mentioned.
I also agree with Zeev that we should mention NASA and Google (and
even Bruce Eckel - the author of 'Thinking in Python')
as the opinion leaders at the industry that might change the
conception among other developers / "IT Experts".
On the other hand - don't forget that there are also other 'Gurus'
that advocates Java and C# ...

3. Nevertheless, we decided to use Python+Django due to it's other
advantages
     - Easier to learn                             => qualify new
developers / employees to work with it)
     - Faster development cycles            => Faster time to market
     - Less code lines                            => Less expenses on
the maintenance
     - Easier to make changes               => Adjusting yourself to
the market needs is essential
     - Vendor/Platform independent         => Not requires 'Vendor
Lock-in'
     - Most of the tools are free (OSS)    => Less expenses on the
licenses
     - Provides very good interoperability with other languages =>
Will enable us to adjust out tools also for other developers...

Thanks again.
--
Emanuel.