[Python-il] [pyweb-il:671] Django for SaaS

Udi h Bauman dibaunaumh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:49:47 IST 2010

Hi Emmanuel,

Regarding #1: I didn't see any new SaaS service in the last couple of years
written in Java/.Net - the conventional wisdom among developers is not to
use these languages for new services/projects. If you don't have any legacy
code, no reason to choose them. Check this presentation from YouTube
regarding why Python makes so much sense for a large web service:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW5_eEKEC28

Regarding #2: 1st, in the SaaS model, your customers are usually agnostic to
the technology behind the scenes, so, such objections are not that relevant.
Having said that, I'm not aware of any such concern with Python, & you can
consult with Google & NASA who chose Django for their cloud computing
offerings without any Python concern (see NASA's choice explanation
here<http://nebula.nasa.gov/services/framework/>
).

Check also this discussion in LinkedIn about Django & the enterprise:
http://bit.ly/6APYVi

If you want, you're invited to a small conference my company is doing on
Django next week, which should explain why your choice is the right one:
http://www.tikalk.com/tce-tikal-community-event-27110-presenting-django

Good luck,
Udi