[Python-il] [pyweb-il:644] Advertisement: Hacker News IL

cool-RR cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Mon Jan 4 11:33:01 IST 2010

Just my opinion here: I don't mind using Facebook myself, but since some
people object to it I think we should be using something else.

What about the hackers.org.il thing that Meir said? Or at the very least we
can start a simple mailing list by sending a message to
hackers-il at librelist.org (Or whatever else you'd like to call it.)

Ram.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Idan Gazit <idan at pixane.com> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2010, at 9:18 AM, benny daon wrote:
>
> > This is fun!
> >
> > I think we all agree on that and that you can use facebook to
> > organize meetings and still be a great person (but not a great
> > hacker :-).
>
> You know what makes you a great hacker? The shit you make, not the
> tools you use. That's the one and only metric that matters. All this
> talk of "hacker values?" Just talk.
>
> > The only problem is trying to organize a meetup of hackers on
> > facebook. You've picked a place that a part of the community sees as
> > enemy turf. This view is shared by many hackers world wide and is
> > based on the values found in the jargon file and I'm pretty sure you
> > can't convince J. Random Hacker to join a hacker group on facebook.
>
> A) Stop quoting the jargon file to me like I've never heard of it. ESR
> is great but he is not the entirety of hackerdom.
>
> B) I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that mpre readers of HN don't
> give a damn about using facebook than do. Case in point: even in this
> thread, several J. Random Hackers thought that it's a good idea and
> didn't give a damn about facebook. *I'M* J. Random Hacker and I don't
> care about using facebook. QED.
>
> I think it will be very sad if somebody decides not to come because
> they don't like my usage of facebook to post the event information.
>
> > There's no way around it - if you decide to keep it in facebook
> > you'll lose the part of the hacker community that takes the hacker
> > values seriously.
> >

> Right now, all I'm losing is time, being lectured about the jargon
> file and the hacker ethic as if I've never heard of either.
>
> If the usage of facebook offends so much then write something better
> or shut up. Otherwise, I'm going to stick to the hacker ethic of
> trying to MAKE SOMETHING with the tools I have at hand.
>
> -I

Sincerely,
Ram Rachum