[Python-il] [pyweb-il:642] Advertisement: Hacker News IL

Idan Gazit idan at pixane.com
Mon Jan 4 11:08:52 IST 2010

On Jan 4, 2010, at 9:18 AM, benny daon wrote:

> This is fun!
>
> I think we all agree on that and that you can use facebook to
> organize meetings and still be a great person (but not a great
> hacker :-).

You know what makes you a great hacker? The shit you make, not the
tools you use. That's the one and only metric that matters. All this
talk of "hacker values?" Just talk.

> The only problem is trying to organize a meetup of hackers on
> facebook. You've picked a place that a part of the community sees as
> enemy turf. This view is shared by many hackers world wide and is
> based on the values found in the jargon file and I'm pretty sure you
> can't convince J. Random Hacker to join a hacker group on facebook.

A) Stop quoting the jargon file to me like I've never heard of it. ESR
is great but he is not the entirety of hackerdom.

B) I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that mpre readers of HN don't
give a damn about using facebook than do. Case in point: even in this
thread, several J. Random Hackers thought that it's a good idea and
didn't give a damn about facebook. *I'M* J. Random Hacker and I don't
care about using facebook. QED.

I think it will be very sad if somebody decides not to come because
they don't like my usage of facebook to post the event information.

> There's no way around it - if you decide to keep it in facebook
> you'll lose the part of the hacker community that takes the hacker
> values seriously.

Right now, all I'm losing is time, being lectured about the jargon
file and the hacker ethic as if I've never heard of either.

If the usage of facebook offends so much then write something better
or shut up. Otherwise, I'm going to stick to the hacker ethic of
trying to MAKE SOMETHING with the tools I have at hand.

-I