[Python-il] [pyweb-il:639] Advertisement: Hacker News IL

benny daon bennydaon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 09:18:12 IST 2010

2010/1/4 Idan Gazit <idan at pixane.com>

> I have no problem with anybody having strong opinions about which
> compromises are better than others, so long as you realize that you
> are arguing from a purely subjective basis. There is no "fact"
> underneath most of these arguments, just feelings of which tradeoffs
> are acceptable.

This is fun!

I think we all agree on that and that you can use facebook to organize
meetings and still be a great person (but not a great hacker :-). The only
problem is trying to organize a meetup of hackers on facebook. You've picked
a place that a part of the community sees as enemy turf. This view is shared
by many hackers world wide and is based on the values found in the jargon
file and I'm pretty sure you can't convince J. Random
Hacker<http://catb.org/jargon/html/appendixb.html>to join a hacker
group on facebook.

There's no way around it - if you decide to keep it in facebook you'll lose
the part of the hacker community that takes the hacker values seriously.