[Python-il] [pyweb-il:638] Advertisement: Hacker News IL

Idan Gazit idan at pixane.com
Mon Jan 4 02:05:54 IST 2010

On Jan 4, 2010, at 12:12 AM, Meir Kriheli wrote:

> On 01/03/2010 08:18 PM, Idan Gazit wrote:
>> Sorry, this thread has devolved into philosophical BS.
>

> And the list goes on. Those things are important to me, and even if
> they cost me money I'm standing by them. Calling my way of life and
> choices "BS" or zealotry is not taken lightly.

I didn't call your choices BS. Kol haKavod that you maintain a strict
diet of only Free Software. I think that unless you practice this
strict diet (no closed-source tool, no google, etc) then saying that
usage of Facebook is "more evil" than the next is hypocritical.

In the end, saying "service X is evil and I won't use it" is almost
always a rationalization. If you take that approach to its logical
end, then you should be a hermit in a cave in Nepal, growing the food
you eat. In reality, we choose compromises based on cost (time or
money), and those choices are subjective.

I have no problem with anybody having strong opinions about which
compromises are better than others, so long as you realize that you
are arguing from a purely subjective basis. There is no "fact"
underneath most of these arguments, just feelings of which tradeoffs
are acceptable.

-I