[Python-il] [pyweb-il:637] Advertisement: Hacker News IL

Meir Kriheli meir at mksoft.co.il
Mon Jan 4 00:12:50 IST 2010

On 01/03/2010 08:18 PM, Idan Gazit wrote:
> Sorry, this thread has devolved into philosophical BS.
>
> In the end, we all choose what tools we use to Get Shit Done. Unless
> you are a true zealot like RMS, using *only* Free software and
> services, you make compromises about these tools all the time.

I don't like RMS too much, but for the other side of the coin, I'll take
out the bike and shed some light on the issue:

I despise Apple, I turn down down iPhone (apps and web related) work
even of they pay good money, cause those things are important to me.

But I'm not calling Apple users "Design BS", I respect their choice, but
I expect the same treatment.

For me (and guess others) those things are important. After a long
debate with my bank I've closed the account there and moved to another
bank which supports standards. Cause of people like us who stand their
ground things are changing standard wise (which also benefits apple
users and other way around).

I'll turn down jobs offers which require the usage of close
tools/technologies or coding IE only sites.

For that matter I don't tweet, but even if I would get the urge to spam
the world I'll use identi.ca.

That the reason I'm hosting my own mail server and other services.

Same is with facebook, had I known the shortened URL was leading to
there I wouldn't even click it, as I don't want to grant them even a
click. For me it's the same as using an iPhone only app to organize this
thing - no way.

Had I've been the one setting the pyweb-il for example, google groups
won't be the choice neither, but at least it allows me to keep my
workflow using an email client to keep up do date.

And the list goes on. Those things are important to me, and even if they
cost me money I'm standing by them. Calling my way of life and choices
"BS" or zealotry is not taken lightly.

This things are important to some other "hackers" as well, the same ones
who are the target audience.