[Python-il] [slightly OT] Meeting to coordinate cooperation of FOSS community with "Mimshal Zamin"

Amit Aronovitch aronovitch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:56:44 IST 2010

Note that this meeting is to plan the topics of coopertaion. NOT to help
them choose the server infrastructure.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Meir Kriheli <meir at mksoft.co.il> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 02/17/2010 01:02 PM, Lior Kesos wrote:
>
>> For the Django,python and $whatever programming language/framework fans
>> out there
>> Note that although a lot of the server side infrastructure will probably
>> be implemented in Drupal there are going to be exciting possabilities of
>> exposing alot of the data through standard feeds and that way to enable
>> different mashups of the different data.
>> You can check out http://data.gov.uk/ and data.gov to get an idea of
>> where we are aiming (even if we are talking on smaller scopes of the
>> data).
>> I think that creating a series of basic examples of using this data in
>> various programming languages will help the adoption and creation of
>> these mashups.
>>

> In that case why should we care ? The server side technology (or it's
> license) is not important at all, and for all I care it could be written
> with .Net or some other technology, the data will still be available.

Ö±Several reasons:

1) In the real world, the server side technology does matter, because there
is not enough standards compliance. There might be difference in protocol
details and even in the data. For example (this was long time ago, do not
know if relevant nowadays) - MS Exchange server theoretically supports imap
and nntp, but clients using these protocols are severely crippled for
several reasons - a major one is that the CONTENT sent via imap is
pre-translated from Rich-Text to html, slightly messed up on the way, and
loses some of the information (as compared to outlook client, that gets the
original Rich-Text via some internal Exchange protocol).
 We need to verify that standard protocols provided are standard enough AND
that they carry the full information.

2) We can recommend to them which protocols and API's we wish they would
provide.

3) Knowing the details in advance is always helpful.

 Probably can think of more, but tiume running short...

      Amit