[Python-il] [slightly OT] Meeting to coordinate cooperation of FOSS community with "Mimshal Zamin"

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Wed Feb 17 13:45:57 IST 2010

(this message follows the bottom-posting conventions)

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:28 +0200, Meir Kriheli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/17/2010 01:02 PM, Lior Kesos wrote:
> > For the Django,python and $whatever programming language/framework fans
> > out there
> > Note that although a lot of the server side infrastructure will probably
> > be implemented in Drupal there are going to be exciting possabilities of
> > exposing alot of the data through standard feeds and that way to enable
> > different mashups of the different data.
> > You can check out http://data.gov.uk/ and data.gov to get an idea of
> > where we are aiming (even if we are talking on smaller scopes of the data).
> > I think that creating a series of basic examples of using this data in
> > various programming languages will help the adoption and creation of
> > these mashups.
>
> In that case why should we care ? The server side technology (or it's
> license) is not important at all, and for all I care it could be written
> with .Net or some other technology, the data will still be available.

I, for example, would care.  When the server side is implemented using
Free Software, it is more difficult to fall into the trap of serving
data using proprietary technologies and requiring use of proprietary
client software.

                                             --- Omer

--
Eli Marmor's Law:  netiquette forbids people from replying "I agree with