[Python-il] [pyweb-il:425] Re: mod_python or mod_wsgi?

Idan Gazit idan at pixane.com
Mon Sep 21 11:43:50 IDT 2009

Short answer: mod_wsgi is awesome. I don't use mod_python anymore if I
can help it.

Long(er) answer: mod_wsgi isn't the perfect solution but it works much
better than mod_python right now.

With mod_python, each apache thread/worker process/etc must load a
copy of the python interpreter into memory. This has several bad side
effects:

1. If you have more than one site run off the same apache, then EVERY
instance of apache threads/workers will have a whole python
interpreter in their context. That's quite a few megs of ram per
request, even requests for my_small_image.jpg.

2. If you have more than one python site on the same apache, you
cannot isolate them from one another, because the same python
interpreter is loaded for them all. What happens if you need v1.0 of a
library for this app and v1.1 for another? Can't do it with mod_python
AFAIK. In mod_wsgi, each site can have its own private python
virtualenv.

There's a lot of smaller reasons for using mod_wsgi but based on those
two reasons, I would warmly recommend the usage of mod_wsgi today.
I've found it to be stable, efficient, and much less resource-
intensive than mod_python.

-I