[Python-il] [pyweb-il:378] Re: q magic (sqlobject) and c magic (sqlalchemy)

benny daon bennydaon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 00:43:40 IDT 2009

> The most notable difference I saw when I read introductions to django was
> how to do queries, which now it seems django improved, even though I think I
> still prefer the sqlobject and sqlalchemy way.

For me, Django's db model does a pretty good job of delivering relational
database power without forcing me to learn sql. What's more it makes it
easier to support non-relational databases at the back-end, i.e.  google's
big table.

I'm sure that for someone with sql experience, sql* works better. For
someone with my very limited sql experience, select and where are confusing.
I like Django for hiding the sql parts and using python taxonomy whenever
possible.

I think the 1.1 changes Idan showed are a positive evolution - finding more
pythonic ways to get more juice out of the db - but I don't think Django
will never completely satisfy an sql perfectionist :-)

g'night,

Benny