[Python-il] Text editor for python with bidi support

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Jun 5 14:23:19 IDT 2009

On Friday 05 June 2009 13:34:31 Viktorija Zaksiene wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > On Friday 05 June 2009 09:09:41 Viktorija Zaksiene wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >

> > > I would really appreciate advice. Early I never meet the necessity to
> > > develop python programms with bidi support, but right now I need to do
> > > it. And it appears, that my favorite vim does not want to manage
> > > hebrew/english in the right way. What text editor do you use to edit
> > > english/hebrew programms?
> >
> > I normally use KDE 4's Kate editor ( http://kate-editor.org/ ) for BiDi
> > text. I previously used KDE 3's kedit (because K3Kate's bidi support was
> > not good enough), and GNOME's gedit also has good BiDi support.
>
> Thank you, Shlomi.

You're welcome.

> > Regarding vim I should note that vim is capable of reversing the
> > direction of the entire text (both Hebrew and English) if you build it
> > with the right flags.
>
> What are right flags? (Probably it is good question form vim mailing list,
> thought) It is good to know that it is possible to make vim suite my needs,
> I will keep trying in the future.

I'm using the following script to configure and build Vim from source:

#!/bin/bash
 ./configure --prefix=$HOME/apps/vim --with-features=huge

I should note that it is not true bidi, but rather allows you to view either
the Hebrew or the Latin (but not both) in the right direction and the other
text in the opposite direction.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish