[Python-il] [Israel.pm] [hackers-il] Re: Perl Vs. Python on Various Points

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Jul 13 14:32:37 IDT 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009 14:07:04 Gabor Szabo wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Shlomi Fish<shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> > I think your analogy is more or less valid here, even though I may argue
> > that a single car is not analogous to code that you distribute to
> > customers at a lot of cost.
> >

> > Personally, I think more software companies should trust their customers
> > (like FOSS developers trust their users), and realise that what matters
> > is not how many people violate the licensing terms, but how many of them
> > would have been paying customers:
>
> I am sure companies are worried about someone using their code without
> paying the license fee but I think they are a lot more worried about
> someone taking their
> code and selling a competitive product.

Yes.

> Again something that happened to me:
>
> I published the content of one of my training courses so people can
> read it and one
> of the high-profile training companies copied it and uses it directly
> competing against
> me with a much better marketing department.
>
> Interestingly I happen to know someone who was a manager in the parent
> company of
> that training company and he said something like
> "copying others material is an industry standard in Israel".
> as if that will make me happier.

I assume the licensing terms that the material was made available under did
not allow commercial use. In that case, you have the right to press charges
against this company, receive damages and/or prevent them from making further
use of your material without permission. The law (and the common ethical
conduct) are on your side.

Naturally, suing someone is very resource consuming, and so may not be an
option for you.

Another option would be for you to make this fact public (with all the
relevant facts and details) in hope that it will tarnish the other company's
reputation. Again, this should be thoughtfully considered and may backfire.

I should note that I made my the material of my "Perl for Newbies" series (
see http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Perl/Newbies/ ) available under the
Public Domain and I encourage people to make any use of them that they wish. I
would still appreciate a monetary donation , attribution , or releasing
derived works to the public too, but I don't necessitate them. But I agree
with Gabor that he has been done an injustice because it is within his right
to restrict commercial use of his material, and even some Creative Commons
licences are doing that.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish