[Python-il] [Israel.pm] [hackers-il] Re: Perl Vs. Python on Various Points

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:07:04 IDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Shlomi Fish<shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> I think your analogy is more or less valid here, even though I may argue that
> a single car is not analogous to code that you distribute to customers at a
> lot of cost.
>

> Personally, I think more software companies should trust their customers (like
> FOSS developers trust their users), and realise that what matters is not how
> many people violate the licensing terms, but how many of them would have been
> paying customers:

I am sure companies are worried about someone using their code without paying
the license fee but I think they are a lot more worried about someone
taking their
code and selling a competitive product.

Again something that happened to me:

I published the content of one of my training courses so people can
read it and one
of the high-profile training companies copied it and uses it directly
competing against
me with a much better marketing department.

Interestingly I happen to know someone who was a manager in the parent
company of
that training company and he said something like
"copying others material is an industry standard in Israel".
as if that will make me happier.

Gabor