[Python-il] [pyweb-il:295] Re: [pyweb-il:291] 6th meeting. Announcment

Idan Gazit idan at pixane.net
Thu Jul 2 23:38:38 IDT 2009

Hey Johnathan,

I'd warmly recommend the django docs, they are pretty comprehensive
and easy-to-understand on the subject:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/contrib/admin/#ref-contrib-admin

Just be warned that the docs on docs.djangoproject.com are always for
SVN trunk. If you want docs for older version (1.0, etc) you'll see a
link at the top of each page, or you can pull and compile the docs
yourself (it's pretty easy, you just need sphinx installed).

As for changes, 1.1 is supposed to be api-compatible with 1.0, meaning
apps written for 1.0 should run out-of-the-box on a 1.1 install. Check
out http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.1Roadmap, and it's
always wise to pay attention to http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/BackwardsIncompatibleChanges
, which has an entry for every time a change to django might break
existing code.

So in short: there are lots of good django support resources. Start
with the docs! They are surprisingly helpful. If you don't understand
something, just ask at the meeting or on #django on IRC.

-I