[Python-il] problem in script

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Dec 27 17:57:54 IST 2009

On Sunday 27 Dec 2009 16:53:10 Yitzhak Wiener wrote:
> Thanks Beni & Imri,
>

> Now I understand better.
>

> BTW what is the best user documentation for Python? And do you know if
> there is good Hebrew documentation?

Well, as far as the language and built-in API reference I believe you should
refer to the on on python.org :

http://docs.python.org/reference/

As far as introductory books or tutorials are concerned, I cannot really
recommend one first hand, because I learnt most of my (little) Python by
copy/paste/modify/trial/error and STFWing and so far it eventually worked with
a small amount of effort. (I'm still mostly using Perl 5 and other languages).
When discussing the old Python-IL meetups in Israel , someone once told me
that he once was able to look at Python code, and was able to hack on it right
away. :-) To a large extent, that was the case for me as well.

But here are some lists:

* http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

* http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers

* http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBooks

Most people tend to recommend the built-in Python tutorial:

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

The book "Think like a Computer Scientist in Python" also has a very good
reputation:

http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

(It does not assume any knowledge in programming and so probably contains a
lot of hand-holding.)

--------------

Regarding Hebrew documentation - the core Python docs were not translated to
Hebrew as far as I know. Such an effort would be appreciated, but would be
massive undertaking and would require constant maintenance.

This google search yields one Hebrew tutorial that someone wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%D7%A2%D7%91%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%AA+%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%99%D7%AA%D7%95%D7%9F&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Regardless of that, I tend to read all of the technical documentation I need
in English, because:

1. I tend not to trust documentation in Hebrew or translations of English
ones.

2. I agree with ESR in http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html that "If
you don't have functional English, get one.", and the reasons he detailed for
why good English communication is essential for a software programmer.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish