[Python-il] [pyweb-il:559] Jacob may be paying us a visit next year

Idan Gazit idan at pixane.com
Sun Dec 13 12:30:32 IST 2009

You're mixing up a few different things.

My point isn't that django is unpopular or that .net developers aren't
interested.

My point is that you cannot give detailed talks about developing with
django and expect a .NET developer to stay awake.

I understand that there's a goal to "introduce" django to the Israeli
web-dev community, including the people who wear suits. That's great!
There are several talks that can be given on the subject which will be
*interesting* for them. None of those talks will be interesting to
somebody who is already using Django.

If there's another goal of putting together a djangocon with a focus
on more advanced technical talks, maybe a workshop with jacob --
great! None of those talks will be interesting to somebody who has
heard about django and is curious to learn what it is about. Both
suits & .NET developers will fall asleep during such talks.

My suggestion:

1. Have a half-day/day of talks for people new to django. Can give a
talk or two about the business case for django, success stories, etc.
If you want to draw technical people who are not new to django, offer
a workshop where we do an accelerated tutorial on-screen -- tell
people to bring their laptops, and walk them through a shortened
django tutorial. Key goal is showing them results in the space of an
hour -- they should have a blog or a twitter clone or whatever at the
end of it, and see how easy it is to Get Things Done.

2. Have a separate day of technical talks about Django. Can roll
Jacob's workshop into this. Make it about Django and expect a basic
level of knowledge from the crowd.

-I