[Python-il] [pyweb-il:558] Jacob may be paying us a visit next year

benny daon bennydaon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:08:02 IST 2009

> It's too early to waste effort in trying to get people from the .NET
> ecosystem into Django.

Says who? Open Source Web Frameworks are all the rage and many startups in
Israel are still using .Net. I'm sure you've seen the YC poll -
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=750142 - where open source frameworks
take the lead.

> Also, it is almost impossible to give a talk
> that is both interesting for an experienced python dev and followable
> for somebody who has never seen a .py file in his life.

The idea is not to talk about python files about about Open Source as a way
of development. We're used to being in 3 IRC rooms, reading
django.reddit.com and tracking the Django groups, following the core
developers on twitter and more. Jacob can tell a very interesting story
abouthow the Django community evolved and how it's been maintained by just
15 core developers working part time.

> Trying to be all things to all people means that you suck at
> everything. We can put on a great conference about Django or a "blah"
> conference about everything.

I'm not sure who much experience you have working with closed-source too in
a closed enviornment, but the process is completly diffrent. Many closed
source developers I talk to don't understand there's much more to Open
Source than just the code. It took me quite a while and a few embarrasing
posts on the Django groups to get my bearings right - the whole way of
communications is different.
You think it's "blah" becuase you're already doing it for a long while, but
for those close source developers out there, the whole open way is uncharted
territory. I admit it's a not going to be very interesting for us who've
been using Django for a while (maybe except for a licensing panel), but I do
think it's time for Israeli's software R&D to move behind "things we did in
the army" and join the open source communities.