[Python-il] [pyweb-il:523] Django conference around Jan/Feb

Amir Yalon yxejamir at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 10:41:00 IST 2009

Hi all,

Following up on Udi's announcement, I open this thread for the group
to discuss ways to contribute to the conference. In the following
paragraphs, I am going to throw in my two cents worth.

This article looks really old (year 2000), but I only first stumbled
upon it a few minutes ago:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882
It's by Eric Raymond, portraying the story of how he came to know
Python and to prefer it over Perl. It's an interesting read in itself,
but if somebody wants to elaborate on one's own experience with Python
(or Django), one can draw a few points and ideas from that article.
And if nobody can present their own, then somebody might take Eric
Raymond's story and make a presentation of it in stead.

Here are some interesting excerpts from the article, in case you do
not have time to read all of it:

"Far better to trade a few cycles and a few kilobytes of memory for
the overhead of a scripting language's memory manager and economize on
far more valuable human time."

"Oddly enough, Python's use of whitespace stopped feeling unnatural
after about twenty minutes. I just indented code, pretty much as I
would have done in a C program anyway, and it worked."

"I was generating working code nearly as fast as I could type."

"When you're writing working code nearly as fast as you can type and
your misstep rate is near zero, it generally means you've achieved
mastery of the language. [...] Most languages have so much friction
and awkwardness built into their design that you learn most of their
feature set long before your misstep rate drops anywhere near zero.
Python was the first general-purpose language I'd ever used that
reversed this process."

"Thirty-two lines, counting comments. [...] But the size of this code
isn't the real shocker. Brace yourself: this code only took me about
ninety minutes to write—and it worked correctly the first time I ran
it."

Yours,
Amir