[Python-il] Considering dropping Python 2.5 support

cool-RR cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Thu Apr 28 23:26:03 IDT 2011

That's a bummer. But I see that RHEL 6 has Python 2.6, so people who use
RHEL 6 would be okay. Also fortunately the new Debian comes with 2.6. (I was
a bit disappointed that they didn't go for 2.7... But they seem to be a
conservative bunch.)

Do I care? I don't know... I'll think about it a bit. On one hand I really
want to ditch Python 2.5, it will make me much happier and solve the bug
that I'm working on (in the `module_tasting` module...), it will make the
code prettier in various places and will save me from having to test on
Python 2.5 all the time. On the other hand if it will prevent some people
from using GarlicSim, that would be a bummer... So I don't know, I need to
think about it.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM, guy keren <choo at actcom.co.il> wrote:

> anyone developing software on and supporting RHEL 5.X (and CentOS 5.X) -
> works with python 2.5. the same could be with other non-recent
> distributions.
>
> the question is - do you care?
>
> --guy
>

> On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 13:13 +0200, cool-RR wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >

> > I'm considering dropping Python 2.5 support in GarlicSim. This would
> > solve a compatibility bug I have now with zipimports, and generally
> > make me a happier person.
> >

> > Do you think that people have generally moved off Python 2.5 already?
> > Python 2.6 was released two and a half years ago, but I'm not sure
> > whether 2.5 is safe to ignore already. I understand that GAE still
> > runs on 2.5, which is a huge bummer... Though 2.7 support seems to be
> > in the "Features on Deck" category in their roadmap, so I hope they do
> > it soon so 2.5 would die already.
> >

> > What do you think? Are there any people here who are forced to work
> > with Python 2.5 for some reason?
> >

> > Ram.

Sincerely,
Ram Rachum