[Python-il] About Python-IL

Beni Cherniavsky cben at users.sf.net
Sun Jan 24 21:20:49 IST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 22:40, cool-RR <cool-rr at cool-rr.com> wrote:

> I have a question about Python-IL. Is it encouraged that people ask for
> help with Python on this list? This list is pretty low-activity, and most of
> the activity is people helping other people. While that is definitely a
> positive thing, is Python-IL a good medium for this?
>
> I am asking two questions here:
>

>    1. Is it good for the list? After all, I understand that this list is
>    about the Israeli Python community. So unless a question has
>    Israeli-specific content (Like "How do I use Hebrew in my Python app"),
>    should it be here? I mean, I'd personally be very interested in Python
>    activity in Israel (like conferences,) but I'm not interested in reading the
>    Python help emails. So for me it's just diluting the valuable stuff.
>    2. Is it good for the askers? I use StackOverflow<http://stackoverflow.com>a lot when I have programming questions/problems, and in my experience it
>    works great. My second choice would be to ask in the mailing lists of
>    specific libraries that I'm using and have questions about. (Like wxPython.)
>    But StackOverflow is usually the right choice.
>

> What do you think?
>
> All Israeli hacking lists (linux-il, pyweb-il, etc) are full of questions
which could better be asked on an international forum.

The only reason to ask them here is a sense of community - some of us know
each other personally, some just feel warm fuzzies talking to local people,
some newbies were told "join the friendly Python list" and don't know
anybody else...
Objectively, it's obviously suboptimal, but works satisfactorily since the
local community has the critical mass of brains.

The only reason to answer them here is maintaining this community - we like
talking to people we know, and we care about Linux/Python/$topic* *in Israel
so we're happy to answer a question by Israeli people now and then.
I think the whole arrangement is OK for the lists.
If we restrict the list to properly-local topics only, it'd degenerate to a
hollow news feed.

Also, I'd hate it very much if we told anybody "we don't want your
questions"!
As long as enough of us are happy to answer any questions, let's be
friendly.

=> I propose that we *inform* to new askers about about other places to ask
(in particular, SO is terrific!),
     but still *welcome *them here as long they feel like asking here.

Language non-policy:
   Hebrew must obviously be welcome here (because where else?);
   English is also OK (because apparently most of us prefer it).

--
Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin <cben at users.sf.net>