[Python-il] [pyweb-il:673] Django for SaaS

Shai Berger shai at platonix.com
Mon Jan 18 17:43:48 IST 2010

On Monday 18 January 2010 16:52:28 Idan Gazit wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Emanuel wrote:
>
> > 2. "Python is an excellent language, but somehow Enterprise IT
> > rejected it in the production environment due to security risks."
>
> Bullshit FUD.

... which can be further dispelled by using Jython or IronPython (both of
which run Django just fine, AFAIK). With these, as far as the Enterprise
System Administrator is concerned, you just give them a Jar file or DLL, same
as if you had developed in Java or C# respectively, and nobody cares about the
Python within.

There is one true argument against Python in the Entrerprise, which is
relevant to you: Java and C# developers are easier to recruit and probably
cheaper to keep, and that is a very real reason for Enterprises to prefer
those languages.

In this respect, I got the impression that C#/IronPython integration should be
smooth (that is, you can give the developers DLLs to call into and they can
write their C# and everyone is still happy), but Java/Jython less so (calling
Java from Python is trivial, but not the other way around). But my knowledge
here is based on rumours.

Shai.