[Python-il] [pyweb-il:640] Advertisement: Hacker News IL

Meir Kriheli meir at mksoft.co.il
Mon Jan 4 10:10:15 IST 2010

On 01/04/2010 02:05 AM, Idan Gazit wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2010, at 12:12 AM, Meir Kriheli wrote:
>
>> On 01/03/2010 08:18 PM, Idan Gazit wrote:
>>> Sorry, this thread has devolved into philosophical BS.
>>

>> And the list goes on. Those things are important to me, and even if
>> they cost me money I'm standing by them. Calling my way of life and
>> choices "BS" or zealotry is not taken lightly.
>>

> I didn't call your choices BS. Kol haKavod that you maintain a strict
> diet of only Free Software. I think that unless you practice this
> strict diet (no closed-source tool, no google, etc) then saying that
> usage of Facebook is "more evil" than the next is hypocritical.

Not really, as Google advances FOSS, pays each summer to programmers to
work on FOSS (including Django and Python), provides a CDN for lots of
FOSS libraries, release large amounts of code as FOSS (for many
languages/frameworks), and even hosting some python web group's
meetings. To make a leap from them to facebook and calling it hypocrisy
isn't serious.

But that's orthogonal to the discussion: my (and other hackers) ban on
facebook is not FOSS related (I'm not the one who brought that up) but a
_social_ one. I expect hackers, more than others, to understand that.

> In the end, saying "service X is evil and I won't use it" is almost
> always a rationalization. If you take that approach to its logical
> end, then you should be a hermit in a cave in Nepal, growing the food
> you eat. In reality, we choose compromises based on cost (time or
> money), and those choices are subjective.
>
> I have no problem with anybody having strong opinions about which
> compromises are better than others, so long as you realize that you
> are arguing from a purely subjective basis. There is no "fact"
> underneath most of these arguments, just feelings of which tradeoffs
> are acceptable.

Why make them ? There's already a hackers-il group which could
revitalize, they have a mailing list, and host a wiki which can be used
for organization:

http://www.hackers.org.il/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

Cheers
--