[Python-il] [pyweb-il:170] Re: View this page "PyWeb-IL 4"

Meir Kriheli meir at mksoft.co.il
Fri Feb 13 18:08:29 IST 2009

Hi,

Yo'av Moshe wrote:
> Hey all,
> On the HaNoar HaOved VeHaLomed website[0] we're using Xapian as our
> search engine.
> It was pretty easy to set up[1] (it comes with python bindings) and
> quite fast.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but since Lucene is java-based and Xapian is a C++
> application and I was much more comfortable choosing the latter.
>
> Just my 2 shnekels :)
>
> Yo'av.
>
> [0] http://www.noal.org.il
> [1]
> http://www.thesamet.com/blog/2007/02/04/pumping-up-your-applications-with-xapian-full-text-search/

I Know I'm a sick bastard, but I usually prefer pure python
implementations, plus I'd prefer something flexible, without a need for
schema definition (to pair with django's models, e.g via a 'register'
function)

Simon mentioned in his blog[1] a pure python indexer named Woosh[2],
anyone got a chance to play with it yet ?

[1] http://simonwillison.net/2009/Feb/12/whoosh/
[2] http://whoosh.ca/

Cheers
--