[Python-il] [pyweb-il:166] Re: View this page "PyWeb-IL 4"

Idan Gazit idan at pixane.net
Wed Feb 4 11:11:04 IST 2009

I'm down for some reusable fulltext searching.

There are several interesting apps out there already, I'll take a look
and see what's out there.

So far, the best solutions seem to use solr (via pysolr), but that
requires running a java server like tomcat (eeechs.) The most
interesting is djangosearch:

http://code.google.com/p/djangosearch/

Which relies on several useful toys, most of which are lucene-oriented:

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/
http://code.google.com/p/pysolr/
http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/

It supports multiple search backends, which is nice, but I it might be
better to just focus on one backend. The concepts in information
retrieval are similar but each IR-library implements things in a
different way. If we focus on one backend it will simplify things
enormously. The trick is picking the right backend. :)

As for how a reusable search app should work: in my head, I envision
something like admin.py, except for searching. search.py:

from myapp.models import MyModel

class MyModelSearch(search.ModelSearch):
     # ...
     # some attributes to specify which fields are searchable
     # some attributes to specify "term boosting" for relatively
important fields, like "title"

search.register(MyModel, MyModelSearch)

I don't know if this is how it's done, but this seems like a very
django-flavored approach to searching.

Hope this starts an interesting conversation!

-I