[Python-il] python IDE in general and for wxPython

Meir Kriheli meir at mksoft.co.il
Thu Apr 10 12:27:30 IDT 2008

Nimrod Steinbock wrote:
> I agree regarding NOT using a GUI builder for wxPython apps. Much better
> results when writing the actual code in terms of accuracy and
> maintainability. The only book about wxPython is "wxPython in Action".
> It is not great but it is enough to get you going.
>
> Regarding an IDE for Python in general, I had good experience with Wing.
> However, after a while, I found it more convenient to just use VIM (or
> another good editor of your choice). The IDE question is classic for
> people coming to Python from Java or C++ where you have million files to
> manage, compilations, dependencies, etc. In python things are a lot
> simpler and you really dont need anything more than VIM and the shell.
>
> Nimrod Steinbock

Yep, I've pretty much agree on vim. On that note, I'd like to mention
PIDA [1], my current favorite which is a simple wrapper around the
preferred editor (vim, emacs, mooedit), adds some basic features (svn,
plugins, project management, etc), and extended via plugins [2]:

[1] http://pida.co.uk/
[2] http://pida.co.uk/plugins/

Cheers
--