Looking for advice from someone who knows both Mercurial (hg) andGit

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Sep 21 11:41:00 IST 2010

On Tuesday 21 September 2010 10:43:00 Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> I have used both svn and git extensively and the more I use git, the more I
> understand (though I still think he exaggerated) what Linus Torvalds meant
> in his (in)famous git talk at Google:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8
>
> where he said:
>
> "Subversion has been the most pointless project ever started... Subversion
> used to say, 'CVS done right.' With that slogan there is nowhere you can
> go. There is no way to do CVS right."
>
> The advantages of git (and Mercurial) is that you can commit locally and
> you can merge back and forth between various repositories. There is no
> central server, which also means that you have less to worry about backing
> up the central server, because you have identical copies of he
> repositories spread out.
>
> I don't think that git is more difficult than svn for the user if you
> restrict yourself to: add, commit, push, and pull. (Or just teach them to
> do "commit -a" and you can forget about "add"). Resolving conflicts
> branches, and rebasing, is another story though. But you won't need them.

Actually, this is not true. With git I often encountered problems where it
yelled at me, and refused to go further without me doing something about it,
yet it didn't tell me what exactly I need to do and I had to consule #git on
Freenode about it, or try Googling. This happened to me a lot and may still
happen and simply does not happen with Subversion. Another point against git
is that projects using git often tend to branch a lot creating a zillion
different branches with lots of disorder and uncertainty, and from what I
recall there is no way to tell where a certain branch originated from during a
git checkout -b command.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish